Istanbul Bilgi University
Professor Ahmet Suerdem
Istanbul Büyükşehir Belediyesi
ISTANBUL METROPOLITAN MUNICIPALITY
Department of EU and Istanbul International Finance Center
Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality (IMM) holds a very important place in local administration organization of Istanbul. Its area of responsibility encompasses the entire provincial territory, which spans a total area of 5,343 km2. IMM has 25 municipal enterprises, 2 subsidiary public utility corporations (Transport Authority and Water & Sanitation Authority) and 43,500 employees in total. It is responsible for wide variety of areas including environment, natural-gas supply, energy, infrastructure, planning and development, IT, transportation, community services and vocational education, health-wellness, food & catering, culture, tourism etc.
IMM is the member of Union of Turkish Municipalities (TBB), Union of Municipalities of Marmara Region (MBB), United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG), World Academy for Local Governance and Democracy (WALD), World Association of Major Metropolises (METROPOLIS), Network of Major European Cities (EUROCITIES), Organization of World Heritage Cities (OWHC), European Cities against Drugs (ECAD), WHO Healthy Cities Network etc.
The responsibilities of IMM are divided into various categories, and European Union is one of the most essential ones. IMM carries out its EU activities through its EU Relations Department which was established 2005.
Mr Akın ÖZKARDAŞofficer
KCC is a UK based Engineering Research and Development Consultancy, providing services in the following areas :
- Robotics: Within the Robotics Industry, KCC is involved in automating robotic movement through development of interactive decision-based computer systems and subsystems
- NDT: Within the NDT field, KCC is involved in the development of man-machine interfaces, defect visualisation systems, systems integration and software used for field testing of pipes and tanks. KCC also provide customised software solutions for NDT hardware companies for integrating sensors and systems to other mechanical scanners
- Public Health Sector: Within the NHS field, KCC have provided many services and developed several systems for a variety of PCTs
- SafeHands: A Case Management System for synchronisation between central management systems and Healthcare Professional mobile unitsEuropean Commission funded projects
Mr Aasim Khalid
Koç University Social Policy Center
Koç University Social Policy Center (KÜ-SPM) was established in April 2010. We began our journey with the aims of developing research and applied research projects on social policy and increasing public awareness on social policy issues in Turkey.
In Turkey the field of social policies is a vast arena where citizens frequently interact with state institutions, where service exchanges and the practical use of social rights occur. Yet it is also a space in which hierarchies, contention, unmet demands and inequalities reside. In KÜ-SPM, our purpose is to increase our accumulation of scientific knowledge and experience through field research, scientific meetings, cooperative implementation projects with stakeholders and through policy analyses. We aim to strengthen the channels of communication on social policy issues between official institutions and policy-makers; advocacy, expert and other NGOs; service-receiving citizens and the academia. As social scientists interested in this field of inquiry, we value social policy-making based on scientific evidence and on the analysis of that evidence.
We can summarize what sort of research has so far been completed within our center with reference to the research topics of scholars in our executive and advisory boards:
- Types of employment, livelihood strategies, ways of dealing with economic crises in Turkey;
- Citizenship capacities in terms of distribution of income and habits of tax-paying;
- Gender inequalities, gender studies, participation of women in employment and other spheres of life;
- Youth studies, education-employment transition in young people;
- Factors influencing school access, attendance and success of children in basic education and secondary education;
- Studies on the development of pre-school children;
- Socio-economic exclusion;
- Health reform, social security reform, social services and social assistance services;
- Rights of people with disabilities and their social inclusion;
- Urban sociology and urban transformation;
- Irregular migration, refugees, internal displacement;
- Communication, media technologies, social policy studies on the protection of intellectual property rights and of privacy rights.
Our research center is always open to collaborations of knowledge production and implementation with social policy-making and policy-implementing governmental bodies, other universities, municipalities, NGOs working on social policy-related issues, EU and UN institutions and other stakeholders.
Within KÜ-SPM, located in Koç University’s Rumelifeneri Campus, there are 7 social scientists (Executive Board) and 2 researchers employed as administrative staff.