Koç University Social Policy Center
Koç University Social Policy Center (KÜ-SPM) was established in April 2010. We began our journey with the aims of developing research and applied research projects on social policy and increasing public awareness on social policy issues in Turkey.
In Turkey the field of social policies is a vast arena where citizens frequently interact with state institutions, where service exchanges and the practical use of social rights occur. Yet it is also a space in which hierarchies, contention, unmet demands and inequalities reside. In KÜ-SPM, our purpose is to increase our accumulation of scientific knowledge and experience through field research, scientific meetings, cooperative implementation projects with stakeholders and through policy analyses. We aim to strengthen the channels of communication on social policy issues between official institutions and policy-makers; advocacy, expert and other NGOs; service-receiving citizens and the academia. As social scientists interested in this field of inquiry, we value social policy-making based on scientific evidence and on the analysis of that evidence.
We can summarize what sort of research has so far been completed within our center with reference to the research topics of scholars in our executive and advisory boards:
- Types of employment, livelihood strategies, ways of dealing with economic crises in Turkey;
- Citizenship capacities in terms of distribution of income and habits of tax-paying;
- Gender inequalities, gender studies, participation of women in employment and other spheres of life;
- Youth studies, education-employment transition in young people;
- Factors influencing school access, attendance and success of children in basic education and secondary education;
- Studies on the development of pre-school children;
- Socio-economic exclusion;
- Health reform, social security reform, social services and social assistance services;
- Rights of people with disabilities and their social inclusion;
- Urban sociology and urban transformation;
- Irregular migration, refugees, internal displacement;
- Communication, media technologies, social policy studies on the protection of intellectual property rights and of privacy rights.
Our research center is always open to collaborations of knowledge production and implementation with social policy-making and policy-implementing governmental bodies, other universities, municipalities, NGOs working on social policy-related issues, EU and UN institutions and other stakeholders.
Within KÜ-SPM, located in Koç University’s Rumelifeneri Campus, there are 7 social scientists (Executive Board) and 2 researchers employed as administrative staff.
KORA- Center for Black Sea and Central Asia
KORA (Center for Black Sea and Central Asia) was established in 1992 at the Middle East Technical University in Ankara. KORA is a regional research center with an emphasis on the Black Sea and Central Asian states. Since its establishment, KORA has accumulated experience in the development of research projects, organization of workshops and conferences on its region of concern.
The Center is the first Turkish coordinator of FP project in social sciences and has participated several other FP projects on European neighborhood, border security, global migration, religious-based organizations, etc.
The Center is keen on being a partner in a consortium for the call SSH.2013.5.1-2 Addressing demand in anti-trafficking efforts and policies. Our Center has conducted various international projects on human trafficking (supported UNDP, ILO, etc.), which constitutes an important problem for Turkey as a transit country.
Ms Gokten DogangunResearch Assistant
Kozminski University, located in Warsaw, Poland, founded in 1993, is a private institution of higher education with full academic rights. Kozminski University is classified in the prestigious educational rankings provided by the ‘Financial Times’ – Business School rankings, which include the best universities from around the world. Kozminski University holds three international accreditations: EQUIS, AMBA and AACSB.The University holds the rights to award doctoral degrees in three disciplines: management, economics and law. Morover, it has the power to authorize a higher Ph.D. degree (habilitation degree) in the discipline of management and economics.
Professor Anna Olejniczuk-Mertaprofesor
Kozminski University, located in Warsaw, Poland, founded in 1993, is a private institution of higher education with full academic rights.
Kozminski University is classified in the prestigious educational rankings provided by the ‘Financial Times’ – Business School rankings, which include the best universities from around the world. Kozminski University holds three international accreditations: EQUIS, AMBA and AACSB.
The University holds the rights to award doctoral degrees in three disciplines: management, economics and law. Morover, it has the power to authorize a higher Ph.D. degree (habilitation degree) in the discipline of management and economics.
Dr Grzegorz Mazurekdr
French and English very good and fluent
EILTS degree 8.00.
TOEFL IBT 120
- M.D. 1988
- Medical practitioner in Sarıyer Community Medical center 1988-1989
- Degree medical specialization (Family Medicine). (Resident) MoH Haydarpaşa Numune Training and Research Hospital. 1990- 1994.
- Family Physician and teacher of the family planning department in MoH Zeynep Kamil Training and Research Hospital. 1994-1997
- Family Physician and Family Practice Residency Program Vice-Coordinator of MoH Haydarpaşa Numune Training and Research Hospital.
- Assistant Professor Dr. (Family Medicine) Marmara University Health Education faculty 1999-2007
- Associate Professor Dr. (Family Medicine) Marmara University Faculty of Health Sciences 2007-current
- Bachelor degree from Anadolu University Faculty of Economics. 2007.
- Master Degree: Marmara University, Health Administration Msc 2002-2005
Doctoral degree: Marmara University, Hospital Administration Phd.2006-2010.
Career Goals and Professional Interests
Quantitative Methods in Health Care Management, Cost Utility And Minimization Calculation in Chronic Diseases. Health Economics, Qaly And Cost Benefit Calculation in Health Care Delivery, Biostatistics, Hospital Management, Health And Primary Care Administration. Primary Care Health Mangement, Health Economy, Population Health Problems In Turkey And Biostatistic Analyses. Measure Of Quality Outcomes, Identification Of Cost Effeciencies, Health System Regulation, Planning Preventive Measures In Primary Care, Payment And Innovation And Organisational Change In Family Practice, Economic And Social Determinants Of Health And Quality Of Life, Productivity In Health
Professor Aysegul KaptanogluAssoc. Prof.
Middle East Technical University
Dr. Alptekin Temizel is assistant professor in the Graduate School of Informatics, Middle East Technical University the principal investigator of the Virtual Reality and Computer Vision Research Group, NVIDIA CUDA Teaching Centre and CUDA Research Centre. His current research interests are video surveillance, anomaly detection from video, crowd behaviour analysis and GPU computing.